When I was a child, family holidays involved picnics and windbreaks, intensive AA map reading and taking a punt on whether a hotel would be anything like the brochure suggested. Today’s families are so much better informed and really do have the world at their fingertips, with parenting blogs, specialist magazines, in-car SatNavs and travel review sites to help them plan adventures. However, with so much choice, making decisions can be just as tricky.
That’s where The Family Travel Show comes in – it’s the first consumer event designed just for families, providing hands-on advice and talks. Here’s what to expect, and how to save 50% on the price of your tickets (you’re welcome!).
Expect to learn about different travel styles, like cruises, skiing, safaris and overland trips, to see if you could try something different next time you’re away. Look beyond obvious destinations and find out what it’s like to visit Borneo, Sri Lanka or Madagascar.
You’ll receive hands-on advice from experts, covering everything from health issues to adjusting your travel style with kids in tow. Whatever your question, there will probably be other parents thinking the same thing!
From my own once-in-a-lifetime holiday in Peru, joining a group which included two intrepid families, I saw just how much children can benefit from being out of their comfort zone, in a unique environment. Machu Picchu may not seem very child-friendly on paper, but it could be just the thing for your kids.
- Where: Olympia London
- When: Saturday 31st October (10am-5pm) and Sunday 1st November 2015 (10am-4pm)
- Speakers: Top blogger Becky Wiggins, a.k.a. English Mum, explorer Benedict Allen (no relation to me, unfortunately!) and The Meek Family, alongside trusted publications like Lonely Planet and National Geographic Traveller. More speakers to be announced.
- Theatres: The Incredible Holidays Theatre will give you destination inspiration, whatever the age of your kids. Meanwhile, the Around the World Theatre helps you pinpoint the right sort of trip, from volunteering opportunities to resort and villa holidays, plus GP and zoologist Jane Howarth-Wilson will be on hand to offer practical tips.
- Don’t Miss: Explorers’ Corner, packed with maps, globes and guidebooks.
- Time Out: Try the Esprit ski crèche, for children aged 17 weeks-8 years, allowing adults time to wander and to attend talks.
- Exhibitors: Speak to representatives from leading companies including Bespoke India Travel, G Adventures, Journey Latin America, Santa’s Lapland, Western Oriental and Wild Frontiers Adventure Travel.
Half Price Ticket Offer
Get your tickets to the Family Travel Show for just £6pp, saving 50% on the full price! Just enter the code ‘TCALAVERA‘ when you get to the online checkout at www.familytravelshow.com, or when you call 0844 209 7360 (calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras). Children under 16 go free.
Don’t delay getting all the answers you need to start planning your dream trip. This could be the start of something big for you and your tribe…
The Family Travel Show takes place in Olympia, London, WI4 8UX from 31st October-1st November 2015. Olympia is easily reached on the bus, the Overground (Kensington Olympia) and via National Rail. On-site parking is also available.