‘Tis the season of Christmas shopping, frosty walks and winter minibreaks (at last!), but you need a winter wardrobe of reliable basics if you’re going to make the most of these colder months. Whether you’re wandering locally or heading overseas, have these winter wardrobe essentials close to hand and you’ll be travel-ready in an instant.
Your Adaptable Winter Wardrobe Ingredients
- 2x winter coats – one long and resilient, and one short, lightweight and fun
- 3x knitwear – a draped cardigan, a slim-fit jumper, and a knitted dress
- 1x black skinny jeans or jeggings
- 2x thermal tops – one long-sleeved, one tank top or vest
- 1x smart camisole
- 1x pleated or patterned skirt
- 1x thermal leggings and 1x 100-200 denier tights; 1x fleece insoles for shoes
- Accessories: 1x blanket-style scarf or wrap, 1x gloves, 1x winter hat, 1x skinny waist belt, 1x statement necklace
- 1x flat knee-high boots or ankle boots
- 1x water-resistant trainers (e.g. leather, PU leather or waxed cotton)
The City Break
Drape the scarf over a knitted dress (I love this metallic khaki dress by JD Williams) and secure it with the skinny belt, à la Burberry circa 2014, for a stylish lunch date. Alternatively, team it with the jumper, skirt and trainers for a low-key adventure. Heels are great for evenings out, but not so useful for active breaks, so check your itinerary before you pack those stilettos. Your pair of knee-high boots or ankle boots act as a smart alternative.